A layer of raspberry jelly set at a jaunty angle serves as the perfect base for this fruity treat.
- 250 ml (8½ fl oz/1 cup) milk
- 125 g (4½ oz/1 cup) fresh or frozen raspberries
- 2 tablespoons Raspberry syrup (see below)
- 1 scoop raspberry sorbet
MONSTER YOUR SHAKE
- 85 g (3 oz) packet raspberry jelly crystals
- Whipped cream
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 4 marshmallow cookies (such as Iced Vovos)
- red sprinkles, for decorating
- fresh raspberries, for decorating
- raspberry gummies, for decorating
- edible flowers, for decorating
- Mix the jelly according to the packet instructions. Divide the mixture between the glasses and place in the fridge, leaning securely against a bowl so the glasses sit at an angle. Chill for at least 2 hours or until set.
- To make the shake, combine the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and combined.
- Using a spatula, smear some whipped cream around the outer rims of the glasses. Gently pour in the shake and top with a scoop of ice cream.
- Using a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle, pipe a generous amount of whipped cream onto the top of the shakes. Slide in two marshmallow cookies each, pipe on a little more cream and decorate with the sprinkles, fresh raspberries, raspberry gummies and flowers.
MAKES 500 ML (17 FL OZ/2 CUPS)
- 55 g (2 oz/¼ cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 250 g (9 oz) fresh or frozen raspberries
- 150 g (5½ oz/½ cup) raspberry jam
- 1½ tablespoons glucose syrup
- Combine the sugar with 1½ tablespoons water in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly for 2 minutes until the sugar has dissolved, brushing any sugar from the side of the pan with a wet pastry brush. Add the remaining ingredients and stir for 1 minute or until well combined.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely. Puree with a hand-held blender for 1 minute or until smooth. Transfer into a squeeze bottle or container.
- The syrup will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
NOTE: For a smooth syrup, pass the pureed mixture through a fine-mesh sieve.
Extracted from Monster Shakes by Vicki Valsamis. Photography 2016 © Chris Middleton. Published by Smith Street Books. RRP $NZ28.99. Out now.