We LOVE our Tots to Teens Travel NZ with Kids Facebook group, it is full of super helpful and supportive discussions as well as the greatest advice! So if you are a new to camping, then this packing list for camping with kids might be helpful for you…
“My sister and I are going camping with our two 7 year old boys for the first time. All we have so far is a two-man tent (each), blow up mattresses and sleeping bags. Any other camping stuff we need to borrow? We’re staying on a non powered site. We’re also not really ‘camping people’ so any recommendations appreciated…”
Check out our community’s best tips (and don’t miss the list at the bottom):
Camping With Kids Essentials Packing List:
- Camping chairs
- Folding table
- Head torch, fairy lights, lamps, torches
- Small BBQ or camp cooker
- Extra warm blankets for when it gets cold at night
- Sleeping bags
- Blow-up beds or camp stretchers
- Warm layers – hoodies, jackets, puffers, thermals
- Ear plugs (if you’re a light sleeper)
- Insect repellent (especially here in NZ!)
- Big plastic tub/s – for storing gear, food, for washing dishes or feet or carrying things.
- Cutlery, plates and cups
- Snacks (fruit bars, baking, chips, crackers)
- Dishwashing liquid, washing powder
- Tea towels, dishcloths
- Activities for kids – balls, beach cricket, cards, board games
- Chilly bin
- Wet wipes, tissues
- Wine 😉
- TENT! Recommendations: Air tents, canvas tents and tents you can stand up in. You might want extra small tents for the kids if your main tent isn’t big enough.
- Water bottles
- Beach towels and shower towels
- Good walking shoes
- First aid kit
Have you got anything to add to the list? Jump on in to Travel NZ with Kids and let us know about your favourite camping #hacks and tips, we’d love to hear them.
If you are still looking for more information about camping, then you can check out our Camping and Tramping tips, and if you’re up for an adventure then our 376 things to do around NZ with kids should keep you busy.