Check out these yummy, kumara brownies from Nutritionist Chloe Moir.
Sweet fact: naturally sweet and high in fibre, kumara are high in vitamins C and E, and potassium.
Kumara and chocolate brownie
- 1 medium kumara (approx 1 cup mashed)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or milk of your choice
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 tbsp coconut flour or regular flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Wrap the kumara in tinfoil and bake for 30 minutes of until soft. Leave to cool.
- Scoop the kumara flesh out and place in a blender or food processor. Blend together with the coconut oil, milk, eggs, honey or maple syrup.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour the brownie mixture into brownie tin lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked in the middle.
Sweet fact: Orange-fleshed kumara is especially high in cancer-fighting beta carotene, a precursor to vitamin A (and just one medium kumara will provide 100% of your required daily intake!).