you will need:
- A mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- A few smaller bowls
- Baking trays
- 350g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- Icing sugar
- Red, blue, yellow and black food colour
- Preheat the oven to (bake) and grease or line the baking tray.
- In the large add the butter and sugar. Beat together with the wooden spoon until light and creamy.
- In a smaller bowl, break the eggs and whisk together with the vanilla essence. Pour the beaten eggs into the butter/sugar mixture. Stir together.
- Sieve in the flour, then slowly mix together until smooth.
- Your cookie dough is now ready to be shaped into rings. Use and roll the dough into long ‘worms’, then loop these around to form ring shapes.
- Assemble your rings on the baking tray and bake for about 15 minutes.
- While baking, prepare the icing. In a small bowl, combine a few drops of colour, 2-3 heaped dessert-spoonfuls of icing sugar and a couple drops of water. Mix to form a thick icing. Repeat for each of the Olympic ring colours (use the yellow and blue colour to make the green).
- Once cooked, they should still feel a little soft, and allow to cool before decorating.
- Once cool, ice the rings using a butter knife or the back of a teaspoon.
- finally, arrange in order on a plate and enjoy while watching New Zealand athletes go for gold.