YOU WILL NEED:
- 350g flour (plus a little extra for dusting)
- 175g brown sugar
- 100g softened butter
- 1 egg
- 4 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
You will also need a rolling pin and a man-shaped pastry cutter.
This recipe is easy to follow and makes wonderful gifts for family and friends.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Place the flour, butter, ginger and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Combine using your fingertips until the mixture becomes fine crumbs.
- Add the sugar, egg and golden syrup and mix until it forms a firm pastry.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to about 5mm thick.
- Use the pastry cutter to cut the shapes out.
- Place the men on a greased or non stick baking tray, allowing for at least 2cm between each.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then once cooked, leave to cool on a wire rack.
- If desired, decorate using raisins, chocolate buttons or small sweets, using a small amount of icing to make them stick.
- Eat and enjoy, or wrap in cellphone to give as gifts.