Are you struggling with getting your little one to eat their vegetables? Most of us are aware that fruit and vegetables are important to include into our diet, but getting our little ones to eat them can sometimes be a challenge. Whether it’s picking out everything green from their meal or refusing to eat anything fresh, kids often have a reputation for turning their nose up to vegetables.
SunRice Ambassador Libby Boxall shares these tips to try to get more fruit and vegetables into your child’s diet:
- Cut fruit and vegetables into fun shapes or use them to make a face on the plate
- Puree vegetables into sauces
- Grate vegetables such as courgette and carrot into fritters
- Make delicious smoothies and blend in baby spinach (you cannot taste it)
- Bake kumara, beetroot, carrot and potato to make crisps
- Children mimic behaviour, show your children that you enjoy eating fruit and vegetables too!
Try this yummy recipe for Rice, courgette & Carrot Fritters that have vegetables hidden in them.
Rice, Courgette & Carrot Fritters Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Yields: 10 fritters
- 1 cup SunRice Medium Grain White Rice
- 3 medium courgettes
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 eggs
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup of fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
Sour cream, yoghurt and pesto
Place SunRice Medium Grain White Rice and 2 cups of water into a medium-sized saucepan, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stand covered for 5 minutes.
Grate the courgette and carrot and place into a clean tea towel and squeeze out excess water – the reason being so the fritters stick together easily when cooking.
Place the parsley, coriander, garlic, shallots into a bowl with the courgette and combine. Add the rice, flour, oil, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix all ingredients together.
Heat a frying pan on a medium heat and add oil. Using a tablespoon, scoop out the mixture and shape into fritters.
Place them onto the frying pan and cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side or until they turn golden and crispy.
Once the fritters have cooled down, serve with a dollop of yoghurt, sour cream or pesto and a squeeze of lemon juice.