FUN EGG FACT – The yolk of an egg makes up about 33% of its liquid weight; it contains all of the fat in the egg and a little less than half of the protein.
• 100g plain fl our
• 2 eggs
• 300ml milk
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
• pinch salt
• butter or vegetable oil for frying
Steps for making the perfect pancakes
- Sift flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre with the back of a spoon then break in the eggs and pour in half the milk. Whisk together, gradually incorporating the fl our to make a smooth thick batter. Beat thoroughly to remove any lumps, then stir in the rest of the milk.
- Heat a little oil or butter in a medium frying pan.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of batter into the pan, tilting the pan as you pour, until the batter thinly coats the base. Cook over a moderate heat for 30 seconds to one minute until golden brown on the underside. Flip and cook for another 30 to 60 secs, until golden.
- Serve with a drizzle of honey, maple syrup or golden syrup, or a sliced banana, or fresh berries.
FLIPPING PANCAKES Hold the pan handle and ease a fish slice under the pancake, then lift and fl ip it over. Make sure the pancake is lying fl at against the base of the pan.