Everyone loves a hedgehog slice, and I knew this one would be even more of a hit with the cute chocolate fish on top. I like to cut it so that each piece has its own fish.
- 250g butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 x 250g packets wine biscuits, crushed
- 16 mini chocolate fish
Chocolate Topping Ingredients
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1–2 tbsp boiling water
- Line a 27 x 17cm slice tin with baking paper.
- Mix together the butter, sugar and cocoa in a large pot over a medium heat, until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the milk and vanilla, then the crushed biscuits.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and press out to the edges (you may have to use your hands for this). Smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Chill while you make the topping.
- To make the Chocolate Topping, combine the icing sugar and cocoa in a bowl. Stir in the butter, adding boiling water as needed to loosen the mixture, and whisk out any lumps.
- Spread the Chocolate Topping evenly over the biscuit base and arrange the chocolate fish on top.
- Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight before cutting into slices. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Images and text from Summer Favourites by Vanya Insull, photography by Melanie Jenkins (Flash Studios), published by Allen & Unwin, RRP$39.99.