This recipe uses fish sauce, but can easily be made vegan by substituting vegan fish sauce. There are many different versions available from health food shops and Asian grocers, generally made from ingredients, such as mushroom, soy and seaweed.
- 1 tablespoon salted roasted peanuts, chopped
- 80 g (2¾ oz) cooked vermicelli noodles, cooled under running water, drained
- large handful of shredded carrot
- 1 spring onion (scallion), thinly sliced
- 50 g (1¾ oz) snow peas (mangetout), sliced
- 1 small Lebanese (short) cucumber, diced
- small handful each of coriander (cilantro) and mint leaves, roughly chopped
Nuoc Cham dressing
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1½ tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- ½ red bird’s eye chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- Place the peanuts in a small, airtight container.
- Toss the salad ingredients together, then tip into your lunchbox.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small jar or container with a tightfitting lid.
- Pour the dressing over the salad just before serving and toss well.
Extracted from THE 5-MINUTE SALAD LUNCHBOX by Alexander Hart, published by Smith Street Books, RRP AU$24.99 or NZ$28.99 Photography © Chris Middleton / Food styling © Deborah Kaloper. Out February 2019.