- 1.8kg heirloom or homegrown tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cooking apple, chopped
- 475ml malt vinegar
- 450g brown sugar
- 55g salt
- 1½ tsp ground white pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground cloves
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large, heavy-based saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil, then simmer uncovered over low heat for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. Use a stick blender to puree until smooth, and then strain through a sieve. Alternatively, use a moulis to puree and strain.
4. Reheat if necessary, and use a funnel to transfer to sterilised bottles while hot. Seal bottles tightly.
5. This will last for months in a cool, dark place, and is best stored in the fridge once opened.
EXTRACTED WITH PERMISSION FROM NOSTRANA: FLAVOURS FROM MY ITALIAN KITCHEN GARDEN BY BRI DIMATTINA (HARPERCOLLINS NZ, RRP $55).