- 360ml water
- ½ cup (85g) polenta
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup (80g) corn kernels (or your choice of small veggies)
- ¼ cup finely chopped spring onions, plus extra, to serve
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ⅓ cup (50g) plain flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil, to deep fry
- Mayonnaise, tomato, spring onion and coriander, to serve
Tip: It is easy to sun in any other vegetables and often use this as a vehicle to use up less-flavoured ones in your household. the Trojan Horse for veggies, if you like…
1. Bring the water to the boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the polenta and salt, and cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
2. Take off the heat and stir in the corn, spring onion, parsley and garlic.Leave to cool.
3. Sift the fl our and baking powder over, and add the egg. Season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
4. Half-fill a large saucepan with oil and heat over medium-high heat.
5. Working a few at a time, scoop tablespoons of the mixture and gently drop into the hot oil. Cook for a few minutes, turning as needed, to a rich, golden brown colour. Drain on a paper towel.
6. Drizzle with mayonnaise and top with chopped tomato, spring onion and coriander to serve, if you like.
Note: For extra pop, serve with your favourite tomato relish, or with yoghurt or sour cream as a dip.
EXTRACTED WITH PERMISSION FROM NOSTRANA: FLAVOURS FROM MY ITALIAN KITCHEN GARDEN BY BRI DIMATTINA (HARPERCOLLINS NZ, RRP $55).